Stuffed Felt Project

This lesson is a real hit with my middle school students. We learned to create a stuffed felt pillow. I have used a variety of themes for this project but the list is limitless. I have done stuffed emoji's, and winter holiday characters you can have your students create all kinds of things.

Our first step is to create a template of there design using carboard or paper. It must be large enough to fill with stuffing and able to be sewn or glued around the edges to seal shut.

Pick two sheets of felt and trace your template onto the felt. Cut out your design and begin adding details.  Connect your two pieces with needle and thread, hot glue or fabric glue. My students used needle and thread as this was a sewing project for them but I have used hot glue guns with them when we are in a time crunch.  The hot glue or fabric glue can be used to add embellishments too.

Below are some pics of my Art ED colleagues at a PD that I facilitated. I introduced this lesson to them to take back to there art rooms. We had a blast.



I introduced this lesson at an Art PD 



 
Adding details with a hot glue



Once all details are added, use poly-fil cotton to fill them and seal it with needle and thread or glue. The kids loved there work and those who finished early were asking to make another one.  









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cardboard String art

Chris Riggs Heart Art

Paper Weaving