PLAYING TAG WITH MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS



So have you ever played Tag with middle school students? No, I don't mean running around the room screaming and tapping someone. I'm talking about a fun way for students to peer critic. T.A.G stands for
This is inspired by the wonderful art instructors at the Art of Education.  

How it works? First my students finish a project and without grading it I placed each paper on the table.  Next to each art project I placed empty sticky notes and a pencil. Each student is to write a TAG for the art piece that is in front of them. Now, of course you may have absent students or students who do not do the project, so for those students I make them TAG a project even if someone has already tagged it, (so there may be two people tagging one piece of art work).  More than one piece of feedback is great.  Students can start when the music begins, when the music stops they stop and TAG the piece that's in front of them. We repeat the process 3-4 more times. When we are finished "Tagging", students are able to read the critic and see what there peers have to say.  I use the peer feedback to grade the projects later.

I found that this critic help students become aware of what others view in their work. It allows them to make those necessary corrections on the next project. It also lets those students who don't give 100%, get back on track, seeing that other students will be critiquing their work. I had a lot more projects with better quality after our critique. 

I recorded one class doing this so, enjoy!

Note: Look at how quite they get when they start writing! It gave me goose bumps!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cardboard String art

Chris Riggs Heart Art

Paper Weaving